Knowing how to love a man is a seemingly difficult question to answer. There are so many types of men, and therefore there are so many different ways to love them. When you do know how to love a man however, it makes a huge difference to your happiness, and the happiness of the one you love.
Loving your man doesn’t always happen by chance; you and your partner must be willing to put the effort in to keep the love strong. Before we talk about how to love a man, let me share this love quote with you:
“If so many men, so many minds, certainly so many hearts, so many kinds of love.”– Leo Tolstoy
How To Love A Man
1. Have open and honest communication with him. In love, communication plays the most important role. If you can communicate openly with your man, then love will flourish. If you can talk with your boyfriend or husband without holding anything back, then the pleasure that they can share is limitless. As long as you can talk and listen to each other, then no issue you encounter will be too hard.
2. Make him laugh! A guy appreciates nothing more than a woman he can laugh with. If a man can laugh with his girlfriend, then he will be happy in her company, and will always feel that he is a very lucky man indeed.
3. Show him that you care. Make sure your man knows how important he is to you. Be certain that he understands that his happiness is your happiness. If your man is stressed, be willing to listen to his problem, and try to find a solution together. Never be afraid to show your love, and never let there be any doubt about how much you care for each other.
4. Make your love a priority. If you make the relationship important, then the man you love will too. Don’t let your love take second place to anything else. Always try to spend time with each other. Do things together that you both enjoy.
Sometimes work or a college exam can seem to get in the way of love, but do everything you can to stop that from happening. No matter what else is going on in each of your lives, make sure that there is still time for your love.
5. Tell him that he looks good. Men like to hear that sort of thing too! It sounds silly, but nobody is so over-confident that they don’t like being told once in a while that they are attractive. Think about how nice it makes you feel when your partner notices your new clothes or a new hairstyle. It feels nice because it shows that your partner thinks about you enough to notice the small things. For guys, it’s exactly the same.
6. Love and romance should go together. Being romantic with the man you love is a wonderful and healthy part of a relationship. Don’t forget about romance just because your daily life is busy. Surprise your boyfriend with romantic notes, nice dinners, picnics in the park. . . anything that lets him know how incredible you think he is, and how happy it makes you to be together.
7. Don’t talk about your ex. It doesn’t matter if you are saying that your ex was wonderful or that he was terrible. When guys hear a woman talking about their ex, they assume that she is still hung up on the ex, and therefore aren’t all that interested in their current boyfriend. It’s not a good way to show a man that you love him.
8. Appreciate the love you share. Don’t ever fall into the trap of taking the man you are with for granted. Be thankful that you are with such an amazing and wonderful person, and make sure that he has plenty of reasons to be thankful that he is with you too.
A relationship that is truly based on love can be hard to find, and you should always be grateful that the two of you have been brought together, and that you are both able to bring happiness and love into each other’s lives.
9. Try and get along with his friends. Fair enough, sometimes it can be a challenge, but it’s still very important. There is often the consensus in society that when a man gets a girlfriend, he has to stop hanging out with his regular friends. Don’t make that true in your relationship. If a guy knows that he can be in a relationship and still get to have his friends too, he will feel much more secure in the relationship.
10. Support one another. In love, two people are as one, so it’s important for the two people to work together. Everything is easier when two minds share the same thoughts; all challenges are halved, and all happiness is doubled. Be willing to offer support to each other, and the good times will far outweigh the not-so-good times.
11. Don’t get in the way of his sport. Men take their sport very seriously. I have no idea why, but they do. If Sunday is the grand final of hockey/football/basketball, then it’s best just to make plans for yourself only. He will be busy watching the game.
12. Forgive him. There is not a man alive who is completely perfect (except perhaps Johnny Depp). Love won’t stop mistakes being made in your relationship. Sometimes it will be your boyfriend who makes a mistake, sometimes it will be you, and sometimes you will both make mistakes.
That is completely normal, and it’s not a problem as long as you are willing to forgive. Love will triumph. Accept that we all occasionally do things that we regret, and be able to move on.
13. Don’t get carried away when you fight. It’s normal for disagreements to occur, even when two people love each other very much. Don’t fight with your boyfriend just for the sake of fighting, however. Don’t get caught up “trying to prove he was wrong”.
If there is a problem that needs to be discussed, then of course you should discuss it! It would be irresponsible not to. Just don’t make it a competition that one of you has to lose. That’s not a result that you should be aiming for.
Even if you feel hurt or upset by your partner, try not to say things that you don’t mean. Focus on the problem itself; don’t focus on who did what wrong. Make sure that you are looking for a solution, rather than causing confrontation, and you will be able to argue less, and love more.
14. Occasionally let him pick the movie. Not ever film has to be filled with car chases and fight scenes. . . but not every movie has to star a romantic and impossibly good looking vampire either.
15. Love yourself too. Remember that you are a special and unique woman in your own right. If you don’t have love for yourself, then it’s hard to have love for him. Make time for the things you like to do, even if they aren’t always things that your boyfriend is interested in.
Love should add new options to you life, rather than making you give up the things that you did before. Love, respect and embrace who you are, and you will find it’s much easier to love and embrace him too.
It’s not always easy to follow these tips, but the rewards of a loving relationship are definitely worth the effort.
Kay is in her 50′s, is divorced with grown sons, and has been back in the dating game for 5 years. She’s met a surprising assortment of men from online dating sites, many of whom were very nice but just not right for her. Some remain friends. She now refuses to meet anyone at Starbucks